Friday, December 24, 2010

I Am Cookie Monster

Growing up, my mom would begin to stock up on wax paper just before Thanksgiving in preparation for the frosting, packaging, and storing of tin upon tin of Christmas cookies. Our dining room table would be lined with wax paper while my younger sister and I rolled out dough and cut it into stars, bells, Christmas trees, and a very awkward looking Santa, which once baked, never really resembled much of anything. Later, the wax paper would be rolled out once again as we frosted the cookies. Wax paper lined the kitchen counters as my mom made press cookies and those crumbly nut-filled cookies that are rolled in powdered sugar that I never learned the name of. At last, the cookies would be carefully packed into decorative tins, layers separated by wax paper, and given out to our postal carrier, our neighbors, co-workers, teachers, and friends.

With two children of my own, I now stand in awe of my mother, not so much that she was able to bake and give away such a variety of confections during the holiday season with my sister and I running around, but that she was able to keep any sweets in the house at all! I have tried to bake Christmas cookies and peppermint bark and fudge to give away during the holidays. And I can usually time it so that I can do the baking while my youngest naps. My two year old loves to help out and dons the apron that matches mine, made for us by my mom, in order to help me stir all the ingredients together. The problem is - I can't keep the sweets around long enough for them to be given away!

And so, I give up. Instead, I've rediscovered some quick cookie recipes perfect for making with little ones and munching on at home. The recipe below is from my mom, a no-bake chocolate and peanut butter cookie that you can make in just a few minutes.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 cups of sugar
  • 1/2 cup cocoa (try Dutch cocoa for a yummy dark chocolate treat)
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
  • 3 cups quick oats

DIRECTIONS:
Boil together the first 5 ingredients for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add peanut butter and oats. Mix well and drop by spoonful onto wax paper. Allow to cool.

And that's it! Easy, fast, delicious cookies just for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...