Looking for a unique gift for a jewelry lover? Instead of simply purchasing a pair of earrings and wrapping them up in a generic gift box, why not give two gifts in one? This easy to make earring display stand makes a nice gift by itself or as a lovely display on which to hang a gift of homemade earrings (and here's a great earring tutorial).
Before beginning, you will need to make a trip to your local arts and crafts store (don't forget your 40% off coupon), and then a trip to your local hardware store. You will need:
- a good pair of crafting scissors or a safety cutter
- a wooden picture frame, a 5x7 frame works well
- a picture frame or plate stand
- glue gun and glue
- a roll of pet screening (large weave, plastic instead of wire)
- decorative drawer pulls (optional)
- Begin by carefully removing the entire back from the frame. You'll also remove the glass, but don't discard it. You'll need to use the glass as your template for your screen material.
- Lay the glass from the frame on the pet screen material. Use masking tape to mark off the area you will need to cut, and use your scissors or safety cutter to cut out a section of screen that will fit where the glass used to sit. Your screen will need to be slightly larger than the opening of the frame as you will need to secure it to the back side of the frame.
- Next use your hot glue gun to secure the screen mesh to the back inside of the frame.
- The optional drawer pulls can be screwed into the front of the frame to be used as a place to hang necklaces and bracelets. However, you only want to add these pulls to a sturdy frame that you feel comfortable drilling into.
- Use the picture stand or plate stand to prop the earring display up. And there you have it! You're own easy-to-make earring display.
You'll also find this tutorial linked at: