Monday, March 28, 2011

Joy of Luck: Day 5 and 6 - Who Brings Me Luck

I'm playing catch up. Technically, Willette Designs' Joy of Luck series has ended, but I thought I would take some time to blog about my last few pictures from this online photography course.

For our fifth day of the class, we were to photograph what has brought us luck. "What in your life has brought you the most luck or blessings? When, in your life, do you believe that your life became filled with luck, blessings and joy?"

I'm certain that every parent participating in this series quickly snapped a picture of their children. I did. My children have taught me more about patience, empathy, and creativity than I ever could have imagined. I am more in balance since becoming a mother. Becoming a parent forced me to get outside of my head, to leave my inhibitions at the door, and embrace glee. My children don't care if I haven't applied mascara or am wearing the same jeans as I did yesterday. My boys just want to spend time with me. And I find that the more time I spend playing in the sandbox, giving horsey rides, and blowing raspberries, the happier I am. I am a better me when I spend time with my kids. The poetry in my two year old's observations, the quick smile and giggle of my 6 month old son, make my heart leap. My children are my saving grace.

And Day 6 of the series has me reflecting on who has been a blessing in my life. This is another easy prompt. I wouldn't have all that I do, be who I am without the love and support of my husband. I've mentioned this before, but for some reason I'm always a little hesitant to share that I've known my husband since I was 12. In eighth grade we would write stories in Mrs. Zeinstra's English class poking fun of one another, eager to read our creative fiction aloud to the class just to work in a playful jab. But we didn't date until we were almost out of high school. We went to separate colleges, pursued our separate academic interests, but always stayed connected.

He pushes me to be better, to try new things, to embrace the world. He challenges me to be a better writer, a better thinker. And he calls me on my bad habits and surprises me with gentle kisses. He is always there for me in just the way I need him to be. And I need to remember to thank him more often for these blessings.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...