Friday, May 20, 2011

Get To Know: J.C. Spock

I'm in awe of J.C. Spock. I've never met her in person, though having followed her blog and stalked her three (you read that right, three!) Etsy shops, I imagine she is one of the most giving, creative, and honest souls you'll ever meet. I started following her work a while back when she started sharing her Brave Girl prints to raise money for breast and ovarian cancer research. And I only recently learned that she is new to painting. "Before this year, I didn't really know how to paint or draw, so I started researching and reading, following favorite artists, joining mixed media groups and viewing on-line videos. It still took me a while to develop my style and to drum up ideas once I had the basics down. Now I often have multiple ideas come at once and need to keep a journal nearby so that I can sketch it out before I forget!"

When I asked her about her about the inspiration for her charity work, here's what she shared with me: "I originally created the Brave Girl piece for a friend who was dealing with breast and ovarian cancer in her family and tested BRCA positive herself (and has since underwent a prophylactic mastectomy). The raw emotion, candor and vulnerability that I witnessed during her journey has been humbling and inspiring all at once.

"Because I felt odd making a profit off of the image that documents a painful experience in her life, I asked if she had an organization she'd like me to donate the proceeds to and she immediately responded with FORCE (Facing our Risk of Cancer Empowered - http://www.facingourrisk.org) This non-profit offers support, education, advocacy, awareness, and research specific to hereditary breast and ovarian cancer and they offered much assistance to my friend (as well as a scholarship to their annual conference). She was looking for a way to pay them back and this was a perfect opportunity for all of us.

"After partnering with FORCE I was inspired to create the Sisterhood Girls piece. Now I donate 50% of the proceeds of any merchandise sold of the Brave Girl or Sisterhood Girls images. Since September, over $350 has been donated to FORCE due to sales of Brave/Sisterhood Girls in my Etsy shop, and I am currently working with them on a national fundraising effort.

"I give away a lot of art because it's such a small gesture that can have a big impact. I believe that the kindness of strangers is so underestimated and yet so powerful. Every week I receive emails from cancer survivors and their families/friends about my artwork and how it's helping with the journey. I am so grateful to be able to connect with people on such a personal level through my work."

And in addition to her art, J.C. Spock is also an accomplished photographer and has her own green eco-crafting shop (Green Earth Goodies) where she makes a number of items that are repurposed, reused or at the very least, recycled in content.

"I'm a creative spirit and am so grateful to have taken the leap and leave the corporate world in order to follow my heart. I love creating art and crafting, taking photos and being a creative spirit. But my mixed media paintings make me happiest of all and truly feed my soul."

You can get to know J.C. Spock a bit more, too. Find her on...



You can win her Brave Girl and Sisterhood Girls collection starting Monday, May 23rd by entering the Great Gift, Good Cause Giveaway!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...